Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Recap Day One

I think I will call Jan 1 2011 a success, as far as keeping all my resolutions. Fortunately I didn't make any resolutions that involved limiting my intake of any food category, because I indulged in nearly all of them.

But I did do all of the following:

I read - well, listened to, two classic books. I am listening to Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" while driving, and Kafka's "The Trial" while walking. The former has kept me riveted even though most of the opportunities to listen are brief in duration and loaded with the distractions of driving around Batavia. The latter I had attempted to read the old-fashioned way, left to right, turning pages as I finished them, picking up where I folded the page corner down. And I never quite got through it. There's not enough time for me to do nothing but read a book. No matter how much I save time for it at the end of the day - I will invariably fall asleep 2 minutes into any book.

Exercise - I had to squeeze that in at the end of today. Heavy rain in the morning prevented me from walking - and I wasn't prepared yet with a legit backup. My evening walk resulted in two muddy dogs requiring extensive cleanup and brushing, which I was able to do, because I had lots of time left from not being on Facebook too much. I will make a point tomorrow to find and TiVo a yoga or workout program I can do in a pinch. I should also look into the nearest Tai Chi or Pilates class, though I stick with workouts I can do at home better than ones where I have to dress the part and pay close attention. And shave my legs and armpits.

As for not saying mean things - I did great! I didn't say anything mean, and I said several very nice things. Now - I didn't really think anything mean either, so I'm not sure this shows any resoluteness on my part. I'll see, and report, how good I am at not saying anything mean even though i'm thinking something mean. By mean, I mean "snarky".

I was on Facebook for about 7 minutes today. 3 minutes emailing Bonnie, my very nice FB friend fom high school, who was kind enough to say she would miss my posts if I gave up Facebook. Bonnie seems like one of those people who doesn't say anything unless it is positive and good hearted. I was on the rest of the world wide web for about 12 minutes, looking for a new haircut for Leslie to give me. I spent a lot of the time saved playing with Eliot, who was her sweetest self today. And I still have a few minutes left to indulge in the internet before the weekend is over.

I have not acted yet on my resolution to lend a hand - by volunteering. I might ask the Batavia Nursing Home if there are volunteer opportunities there. And I intend to visit my dad's buddy Frank there on Mondays, while Jake is at piano, in any event.

I was very understanding today. I understood that Jake needed to sleep all day after being up all night at Adam's slumber party. I understood that Terry is not programmed to notice his muddy dress shoes in the living room, right where he took them off last night.

I did not find a new talent today. So, I practiced piano - including the G flat major scale, cadences and arpeggios. And Bach's Prelude in C. It is an interesting piece to me for having such obvious, and frequent measures of musical tension and resolution.

No wine today. I will feel a very definite "withdrawal" type effect tomorrow. Not anything I can describe really - no textbook symptoms. Just a vague discomfort from being denied a regular dose of alcohol. I'll be a bit cranky probably, and I'll eat more sweets than usual.

My last two resolutions - organizing a regular activity get-together with friends, and donating to someone in need, are also coming together. I am totally on track - so far.

Assuming I keep my resolutions going forward, I'll elaborate on one each post. Probably, because I have so many pent up blogs in me, and a tendency towards attention deficit, I will also get off on many pointless and unrelated tangents.

Or as my brother will want to remind me - I will just fail to post very soon.

No comments: